I wanted to share with you a few things I have learned about skin and beauty products over the last few years. It's amazing how God was already leading me to educate myself about these things even before I knew I had cancer. I have always been a naturalist and the fact that I was putting things on my skin that could be harmful was aposturous. I discovered that Europe banned 1,373 chemicals from cosmetic products while the USA only banned. 8. That's right only 8!! Basically the FDA turns a blind eye to the beauty industry.
TOP FIVE INGREDIENTS TO AVOID
1) PARABENS – The truth is blush, foundation, and lotion would grow fungus without preservatives like parabens. Gross, right? They’re found in Avon, Bobbi Brown, Chanel, Clinique, Cover Girl, Lancôme, L’Oreal, Maybelline, Neutrogena, and Revlon products.
2) PARFUM – This is a fancy way of saying “fragrance.” It can cause asthma, acne, and allergies. It’s found in Neutrogena and Milani products.
3) FORMALDEHYDE – This one just sounds like it doesn’t belong anywhere near your face! It prevents bacteria growth, and can cause cancer. Drop these ingredients like a hot potato: quarternium-15, diazolindinyl urea, imidazolindinyl urea, and MDM hydantoin. They are found in Almay products.
4) TOULENE – This is a super strong solvent used to dissolve paint. Um, get this far away from your eyes and rosy cheeks! Toulene is found in nail polishes sold at CVS or Walgreens.
5) COAL TAR DYES – Colors are listed as “CI” followed by a five-digit number. For example, if you see “Blue 1” or “FD&C Blue No. 1,” run. They are found in Maybelline products. Vibrantlifeaftercancer.com
One of the major changes I have made in my skincare routine is cutting out Parabens in my skin care . Numerous studies have shown that Paraben is directly linked to cancer….specifically breast cancer because it will mimic Estrogen. The only moisturizer I use on my body is organic virgin coconut oil. I buy mine at Kroger. This was an easy, economical switch that anyone can do. It's actually cheaper than buying body lotion at places like The Body Shop or Victoria Secret and much better for your skin. Research coconut oil yourself and discover all the wonderful benefits! http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20855271,00.html Another change I made in my skin care routine was to make my own face cream and eye cream. The face cream I make fights wrinkles and it also calms sensitive skin. The eye cream moisturizers and also helps dark circles and puffiness. It feels good to know I am no longer applying chemicals to my skin that can be absorbed into my body. I hope you love these recipes as much as I do! Enjoy!!!! Memarie
DIY Eye Cream
1/2 cup organic extra virgin coconut oil 6 vitamin E capsules
Microwave the Coconut oil for 10 seconds then add the Vitamin E by pricking the capsules with a pin and extracting the oil. Mix together with a toothpick, pour into a small container with lid and refrigerate for a couple hours. This will last a long time because a little goes a long way. Because this does not contain any preservatives, it will last about two months.
DIY Face Cream
3/4 Organic Extra virgin coconut oil 1 tbs aloe Vera gel (get the purest stuff you can)....I get it from my plant. 4 drops of pure Frankincense essential oil 4 drops of pure Lavender essential oil
Add all ingredients in a blender(I use my magic bullet). Store in an air tight container in a cool spot. Again, a little goes a long way and last about two months. Enjoy!